Sunday, August 28, 2011

Humans are a Strange Bunch

Not to offend any of you Human-lings, but you are a slightly odd bunch. Er, perhaps even very odd. Don't get me wrong; strange can be wonderful - and often is - but some strange is just... well, strange. 

Take your Human-ling notions of what Dragons are like. You think we are all grouchy, knight-eating tyrants, or, (as one Human movie I was privy to watch lately - The NeverEnding Story - shows us) we seem to be fuzzy worm dogs; but at least we aren't as ill-tempered when in that guise. I don't know how these silly ideas became planted in the Human psyche, but I find them endlessly amusing. (As opposed to some others of my kind that view it as species-ist and discriminatory.) 

During my ponder time lately, it has repeatedly struck me how differently Humans view work. You all must work to earn "money" without which you can't eat. It is unfortunate that you aren't all fine-tuned hunting machines like Dragons, but that is something to take up with the Creator I suppose, and not your fault. Dragons do not even have a word for money; we hunt for food - which is blessedly plentiful - and when we need something done that we are not skilled in, other Dragons are ready to step up to help. 

Fortune seems to be a large factor in Human work. A rare few find employment, and you that do are grateful for anything; forget liking what you are doing. That is a boon indeed. Dragons, on the other hand, spend many hours a day "working" or studying what they please. This lends itself to productivity and enjoyment because you can stop at any time and take a break, or work on something else. 

Now, now. I know what you're thinking. "Oisa, you are full of skrat tails! Dragon life sounds too perfect." Perhaps I am trying to shed light on the best parts of our life to counteract the largely negative image Human-lings have in their tiny skulls. Dragons are of course not all diligent, thoughtful, and constructive; and we all have our lazy days (or weeks, or months, etc.).

On another note, I am sooooooo excited! In five days I am taking a flying tour with some friends! We are going to travel roughly 60,000 leagues to visit our friend, Tsukay. She lives in the Eastern seaside caves, and I am so looking forward to dining on the Eastern delicacies - and seeing Tsukay of course =D

I hope I haven't offended any of you and that you will tune in whenever I get around to rambling on again.


5 comments:

  1. I can seriously see this developing into a children's and/or young adult series of books. Chapters would begin with a more introspective, first-person blog entry like this, then go into more normal, matter-of-fact, third-person writing about what happened next in the world of dragons. And if you can figure out how to then make that into a movie where some supposedly attractive young man takes his shirt off at some point, you'll make a fortune and be idolized by millions of (pre-)teens everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know there was such a diversity among dragons. I'm curious what Esoi and her gang hunt though.. deer? blueberry pie?

    ALF-- yes, and if its a young adult's book it needs to involve oppression and/or a really obvious metaphor.

    I think there should be a map drawn sometime. Please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking a vampire dragon that sparkles would make an excellent addition. Vampires sell!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh beware of sparkly vampire dragons....it could result in a deadly debate on your comment wall! LOL If just sparkly vampires are so controversial...I can only imagine how much debate might surround dragons of that ilk!

    ReplyDelete
  5. B'son, as I was reading it, the Christian metaphor was definitely jumping out at me. But there are lots of ways to go with it, really. And you're right, we need a map.

    Denise, 3 points for using the world "ilk"...

    ReplyDelete